Meteorology Intern - Fall 2015
All times are in Eastern Daylight Time.
Requisition ID: 2015-10514
Employment Type: Regular Full-Time
Department: 09-Operations Department
Important Job Details:
We are committed to provide our Employees a stable work environment with equal opportunity for learning and personal growth. Creativity and innovation are encouraged for improving the effectiveness of Southwest Airlines. Above all, Employees will be provided the same concern, respect, and caring attitude within the organization that they are expected to share externally with every Southwest Customer.
Responsibilities: DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assist with weather information collection for research purposes.
- Assist with weather case study analysis.
- Forecast weather information.
- Assist with weather application software testing.
- Assist with documentation production & distribution.
- Some research projects.
- This position requires the intern to work four days each week for ten hours a day, Saturday through Tuesday.
Qualifications: BASIC QUALIFICATIONS:
- High School Diploma, GED or equivalent education required.
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- Must have authorization to work in the United States as defined by the Immigration Reform Act of 1986.
- Majoring in Meteorology based undergraduate degree program.
- Minimum junior level.
- To be eligible must be currently enrolled as a full time student (minimum 12 credit hours).
- Maintained 2.5 or above cumulative GPA.
- Completed coursework in synoptic and mesoscale meteorology required.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office applications.
- Programming experience, particularly html, java and web is preferred.
- Proficiency in Excel and Word is preferred.
- Excellent communication (written and verbal), analytical and organizational skills.
- Ability to manage time and multiple tasks effectively.
- Customer Service Oriented.
- Self-motivated and Energetic.
- Team Oriented.
- Ability to work equally well alone or with others.
- Flexibility to work in a dynamic, fast-paced environment.
- Passion/interest in Meteorology.
PLEASE BE PREPARED TO PROVIDE THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION (IF REQUESTED):
- Unofficial transcript.
- “Why Southwest Airlines” essay. (Length determined by author.)
- Letters of Recommendation.
- Fulltime/40 hours per week. Weekend work schedule will be expected.
- Work schedule is Saturday through Tuesday, 10 hours per day.
- $12.00 per hour + flight privileges
All internship positions are located in Dallas, TX at Southwest Airlines Headquarters.
All students must apply online at www.southwest.com/careers.
Southwest Airlines is an Equal Opportunity Employer of women, minorities, qualified disabled, and covered veterans. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or other legally protected status.
Southwest Airlines Co. is an Equal Opportunity Employer of Women, Minorities, Qualified Disabled and Protected Veterans.: