Fixed Term & Research Faculty Advisory Committee Bylaws
Department of Meteorology BYLAWS
Adopted: March 14, 2012
ARTICLE I NAME
The name of this organization shall be the Fixed Term & Research Faculty Advisory Committee. and it will be contained within the Department of Meteorology.
ARTICLE II PURPOSE
This organization serves as a conduit of information between department and college administration and members of the fixed-term & research faculty in the department of meteorology.
ARTICLE III MEMBERS
- Section 1. General. Department employees designated as fixed-term upon hiring are automatically included in the general membership class.
- Section 2. Committee Membership. The Committee functions similarly to a "board of directors" of the general fixed-term & research faculty and as such is comprised of members elected from this population within the department.
- Number of Members. There are five elected members, one who is the department's representative to the College of Earth & Mineral Sciences serving as an ex officio member. All five have full voting rights.
- Officers. The Committee will elect a chair each year immediately following the general election.
- Quorum. A majority of members shall constitute a quorum.
- Election. Elections shall be held annually.
- Procedure. Any member of the department's general fixed-term population is eligible for election. Nominations may be received by the Committee at any time. Ballots will be issued electronically, and the person(s) receiving the most votes will join the Committee. In the event of a tie, a runoff election will be held and the person receiving the most votes in the runoff election will join the Committee. The process will repeat until the tie is broken.
- Terms of Office. Four of the members shall serve a term of two years. with two being elected in odd years, the others in even years. After two consecutive terms the member must step down for at least a year. The college representative is elected to a three year term in a separate election and is bound by any term limits expressed by the college committee.
- Vacancies. Any vacancy that occurs on the Committee, by any cause, will be filled through appointment of an interim committee member. The appointed member will serve the remaining term of the vacated member. lf no persons show interest the Committee may continue to function with its remaining members until the general election.
ARTICLE IV MEETINGS
- Section 1. Regular Meetings. The Committee will have regular meetings each month. The schedule and location or which shall be decided at the annual meeting and at the December meeting for the following semester. No notice of such meetings shall be required. A majority of committee members shall constitute a quorum at a meeting. In the absence of a quorum. a majority or the attending committee members may adjourn the meeting to another time without further notice. If a quorum is represented at a rescheduled meeting. any business may be transacted that might have been transacted at the meeting originally scheduled. The members present at a meeting represented by a quorum may continue to transact business until adjournment, even if the withdrawal of some members results in representation of less than a quorum .
- Section 2. Annual Meeting. An annual meeting shall be held each calendar year during September for the purpose of electing committee members and for the transaction of other business as may properly come before the meeting. The annual meeting shall be held at a time and place designated by the Committee and will be announced to the general membership and other interested parties at least one week prior to the meeting.
- Section 3. Spring Meeting. A general meeting shall be held during the spring semester each year for the purpose or meeting with the department head and other tenure-line faculty to discuss matters affecting the department in general. and what effect these matters may have on the f ixed-t erm & research population. The spring meeting shall be held at a time and place designated by the Committee and department head and will be announced to the general membership and other interested parties least one week prior to the meeting.
- Section 4. Special Meetings. Special meetings may be requested by any Committee member. No notice of such meetings shall be required.
ARTICLE V AMENDMENT TO BYLAWS
The bylaws may be amended, altered, or repealed by the Committee by a majority or a quorum vote at any regular or special meeting. The text of the proposed change(s) shall be distributed to all committee members at least one week before the meeting.
I certify that the foregoing is a true and correct copy of the bylaws or the above-named organization, duly adopted by the Committee on March 14. 2012.