Operational Marine Meteorologist – Voyage Planner
Aug. 8, 2016 12:00 am
Oct. 8, 2016 12:00 am
Weathernews Americas Inc.
- United States
Weathernews Americas Inc.
Marine Group – Technical Operations Department
Now Hiring: Operational Marine Meteorologist – Voyage Planner
For over fifty years, Weathernews has drawn upon our global resources and ongoing innovations in science, software and service to deliver customized solutions that help businesses in many industries better manage the effects of weather on their operations, revenues and profits.
Weathernews’ Marine Group provides Voyage Planning services to companies that operate commercial vessels all over the world. We work directly with ship operators and ship captains in order to determine the optimal voyage plan based on numerous factors, providing not just forecast information, but also risk associated with each decision and how it could affect our customers’ bottom line.
As a technical professional, a Voyage Planner finds and communicates the optimum shipping route in order to protect the safety of the vessel, cargo and crew. Using knowledge of weather, ocean currents, vessel and cargo type, combined with a variety of tools and software programs you will assess and select the optimum shipping routes for supporting our customer’s business. Additionally, this position communicates the chosen route and responds to inquiries for climatologic, weather, and other information during the route from ship captains, ship operators and partner affiliates. The role of Voyage Planner is critical in the overall Voyage Planning operations at WNI, and one that helps ensure we continue to deliver world-class service to our major shipping customers.
This position is a one-year full time contract position with possibility to be considered for a permanent position after the contract has expired. This position is located in our operations facility near the National Weather Center in Norman, Oklahoma. Salary is $34,000 gross per year.
- Analyze and communicate optimum voyage plans for all ocean basins globally.
- Field inquiries for climatologic and route related information to ship captains, ship operators.
- Attend daily weather briefings and discussions.
- Attend team meetings to review all issues and discuss ideas to improve operations.
- Perform additional assignments or tasks as directed.
- Undergraduate degree in Meteorology OR equivalent of two plus years of directly related experience.
- Language requirement: must be proficient in Spanish language
- Customer focused and able to understand and fulfill specific customer requirements.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Skilled in working issues with a high degree of professionalism, judgment, creativity and initiative.
- Results driven, self-motivated with strong organizational skills.
- Able to work in a fast-paced team environment and to multi-task.
- Strong computer skills.
- Detail-oriented and keen attention to accuracy.
- Marine or maritime background desirable.
- Willingness to travel to our office in Japan for extended periods of time.
** Weathernews is a 24/7 operation, all candidates must be available for shift work including nights and weekends.
Weathernews offers competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits package, as well as the opportunity to join a recognized leader in the weather information & risk analysis industry. Qualified candidates should e-mail their resume & cover letter to Recruiting Weathernews America Inc
For more information about Weathernews’ products and services, please visit: Weathernews Americas Inc.
Weathernews is an Equal Opportunity Employer