Aug. 24, 2016 12:00 am
Sep. 24, 2016 12:00 am
The National Ecological Observatory Network Project (NEON™)
- United States
Location: Boulder, CO, US
The National Ecological Observatory Network Project (NEON™) is a National Science Foundation 30+ year project dedicated to understanding how changes in climate, land use and invasive species impact ecology. For the next three decades NEON will collect a comprehensive range of ecological data on a continental scale across 20 eco-climatic domains representing US ecosystems. NEON will use cutting edge technology including an airborne observation platform that will capture images of regional landscapes and vegetation; mobile, relocatable, and fixed data collection sites with automated ground sensors to monitor soil and atmosphere; and trained field crews who will observe and sample populations of diverse organisms and collect soil and water data. A leading edge cyberinfrastructure will calibrate, store and publish this information. The Observatory includes over 300+ personnel and will be the first of its kind designed to detect and enable forecasting of ecological change at continental scales.
Reporting to the head of the IS (Instrumented Systems), the IS Postdoctoral Micrometeorologist will develop eddy-covariance storage exchange (ECSE) data products, including algorithm development, code implementation, documentation, and data product preparation. The successful candidate will be working with the terrestrial IS team, which develops data products for an automated suite of meteorological, atmospheric, soil and ecophysiological measurements. The IS Postdoctoral Micrometeorologist will implement a crucial portion of the NEON eddy-covariance design, directly contributing to making NEON’s flux measurements part of a world-class observatory through state-of-the-art techniques.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develop eddy-covariance storage flux algorithm, documentation and data products
- Develop a modular R package with associated documentation (Algorithm Theoretical Basis Document)
- Co-develop HDF5 datasets for data products
- Coordinate ECSE dataflow with the NEON Data Products (DP) and Cyber Infrastructure (CI) teams
- Develop plans for evaluating and transferring research-grade programming into an operational and production framework
- Publication of the results in peer-reviewed scientific literature
REQUIRED: EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
- PhD in an environmental science field (e.g., biometeorology, ecosystem science, micrometeorology, atmospheric modeling) or a related field
- Three (3) - Five (5) years of experience in meteorological-related work
- Experience with data QA/QC, quantitative uncertainty analyses, and time-series analyses
- Experience delivering a final product from concept through testing to completion
- Experience in programming meteorological analyses with diverse types of datasets
- Experience working in a collaborative scientific and/or computing environment
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively in written and oral forms
- Ability to apply critical thinking to scientific writing and review
- Strong knowledge base of software development
PREFERRED EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
- Recent PhD graduates may apply (post-doc position)
- In-depth knowledge of eddy covariance theory and techniques
- Rich experience in eddy flux and storage related data analysis
- Skillful programmer in interpreter languages, particularly R programming and code packaging
- Familiarity with parallel computing and modular Docker workflows
- Familiarity with Git version control software and Github for collaborative code development
Term: This is a term position with work scheduled until end of construction, which is anticipated to be December 29, 2017.
Must have permanent authorization for US employment. NEON, Inc. will not provide any kind of visa sponsorship. This position offers competitive total rewards including 401(k), health, vision and dental insurance, generous paid time off and the opportunity to work with at an organization with a great mission.
NEON, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women, Minorities, Veterans and Disabled Persons are encouraged to apply.