Research Associate: NSSL’s Multi-Radar MultiSensor (MRMS)
Oct. 17, 2016 12:00 am
Nov. 17, 2016 12:00 am
The Cooperative Institute for Mesoscale Meteorological Studies (CIMMS)
- United States
MRMS Research Associate
The Cooperative Institute for Mesoscale Meteorological Studies (CIMMS) seeks to fill a Research Associate position for its collaborative research with scientists in the National Severe Storms Laboratory (NSSL) in Norman, Oklahoma. The Research Associate will contribute to NSSL’s Multi-Radar MultiSensor (MRMS) project.
NSSL in collaboration with CIMMS has developed an operational Multi-Radar Multi-Sensor (MRMS) system that assimilates radar, rain gauge, lightning, satellite and atmospheric environmental data and generates 1-km and 2-min resolution severe weather and quantitative precipitation estimation (QPE) products. The high-resolution precipitation products are critical for flood/flash flood warnings and for water resource managements.
The principal duties of this position are:
- Acquire and apply expertise in radar quantitative precipitation estimation.
- Develop technical expertise with the MRMS radar processes and applications.
- Refine and optimize the current MRMS dual-polarization radar QPE for operations.
- Test and optimize a radar extrapolation-based very-short term quantitative precipitation forecast.
- As needed, attend meetings and professional conferences to present research results and contribute to technical documents and scientific publications when appropriate.
The minimum qualifications for the position are:
- A Masters Degree in Meteorology, Atmospheric Science, Computer Science or related area.
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Meteorology, Atmospheric Science, Computer Science or related area AND at least 3 years relevant experience.
- Emphasis will be placed on applicants with scientific programming experience on UNIX/Linux using a high level language (e.g. C++, Java, Python)
Applicants should identify experience with analysis and interpretation of weather radar data. Excellent oral and written communication skills are highly desired.
Supervision will be provided by CIMMS staff. Technical oversight will be provided by CIMMS staff and NSSL Federal staff and management. This is a non-supervisory position, although the incumbent may serve as a leader of technical teams.
The beginning salary will be commensurate with experience and qualifications with University of Oklahoma benefits. Information on benefits may be found at University of Oklahoma HR.
To apply for the position, please forward your resume, cover letter and list of three references to:
Executive Director, Finance and Operations
University of Oklahoma CIMMS
120 David L. Boren Blvd.,
Suite 2100 Norman, OK
JOB REFERENCE: MRMS RA
The University of Oklahoma is an equal opportunity / affirmative action employer.