Research Associate Numerical Weather Prediction
Oct. 4, 2016 12:00 am
Nov. 4, 2016 12:00 am
University of Colorado in Boulder, Colorado
- United States
Research Associate - 06830
CIRES/ GSD Research Associate: Numerical Weather Prediction Scientist
The Cooperative Institute for Research in Environmental Sciences (CIRES) in Boulder, Colorado is seeking a research scientist with programming experience to work in the NOAA Earth System Research Laboratory (ESRL)/Global Systems Division (GSD). The candidate will have responsibilities related to the development, testing, and community support of numerical weather prediction (NWP) systems, including the Hurricane Weather Research and Forecasting (HWRF) model and modeling suites that are part of NOAA’s Next Generation Global Prediction System (NGGPS). This position will be located in Boulder, Colorado.
- Participate in the Developmental Testbed Center (DTC) Hurricane Task by supporting the community in using and adding innovations to the HWRF modeling system. This activity includes
- Scientific coordination activities such as participating in the HWRF Developers Committee
- Technical activities related to code management and integration
- Support to outside collaborators in adding their innovations to the code using well-established protocols
- Preparation and delivery of educational materials such as documentation and tutorials
- Conduct testing and evaluation of the HWRF model, both for software integrity and for assessment of modeling innovations for potential transition to operations at the National Weather Service.
- Engage in additional activities in NWP related to ongoing projects in GSD, including both regional and global modeling.
The applicant will be expected to work collaboratively with GSD and DTC partners, including the National Center for Atmospheric Research, the NOAA National Centers for Environmental Prediction (NCEP), and the research community. She/he will also work with colleagues to document and present the results in the form of journal articles, seminars, and conference presentations.
Qualifications: Required qualifications:
- Ph.D. degree in atmospheric or related science
- Experience in building, running, and validating NWP models or assimilation systems
- Strong computational skills and proficiency in one or more programming languages
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English
- Ability to work both independently and in a team environment
- Availability to travel at the level of 2-3 trips/year
- Experience with tropical meteorology and tropical cyclone prediction
- Experience with data assimilation for initialization of NWP models, and specifically with the Gridpoint Statistical Interpolation analysis software (GSI)
- Familiarity with NWP verification and assessment
- Experience with Fortran90, Python, and Unix shell scripting
- Experience in using High-Performance Computing Systems
- Experience with software for revision control management, such as SVN and Git.
Application Materials Required: Cover Letter, Resume/CV, Reference Letters (Not Confidential), Unofficial transcript(s)
Job Category : Faculty
Primary Location: Boulder
Department: B0001 -- Boulder Campus - 10080 - Coop Inst Res/Envrm Sci - Dir
Posting Date: Sep 27, 2016
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Karen Dempsey
Position Number: 00674605
Complete details and application instructions: