Oct. 19, 2016 12:00 am
Dec. 19, 2016 12:00 am
- United States
Who We Are
Founded in 2002, Ascend Analytics is a software development company that provides portfolio and risk management solutions for the energy industry. Our solutions are part of the “clean tech” energy revolution delivering core analytic infrastructure and data to chief risk officers, portfolio managers, and strategic planners.
Ascend provides a collaborative work culture involving frequent interaction with clients where individual initiative and creativity are highly valued. The environment at Ascend offers employees an opportunity to learn, grow, and take on responsibilities sooner than what may be offered in larger corporations. Interactions with senior management happen on a daily basis and hard work never goes unnoticed.
We have offices in Boulder, CO, Oakland, CA and Bozeman, MT and are constantly working on solving exciting and challenging problems. We offer flexible work hours with a relaxed environment and opportunities for domestic and international travel. Excellent benefits are available, including medical, dental, vision, and a 401k plan. Ascend values their employees’ overall well-being and we contribute a monthly stipend to any gym membership our employees choose.
We are looking for a Senior Econometrician in our Boulder, CO office that brings a fresh perspective and a desire to make a big impact. Ideal candidates will have strong background in software development plus at least one of the following areas: energy industry, economics, finance, or engineering.
This position will help Ascend Analytics deploy energy risk management software to electric utilities and other energy industry clients. We're looking for talented individuals with a serious commitment to econometric modeling, stochastic processes, stochastic modeling, mathematical finance, risk analysis and modeling of energy market dynamics and generation assets.
Job Responsibilities and Essential Functions
- Build advanced econometric models for capturing physical systems and energy market dynamics
- Manage and solve complex analytic problems to make mission critical decisions for energy supply
- Apply analytic solutions to improve operating performance and efficiency of decision analysis
- Develop models to address client requests into new features for future product releases
- Devise new approaches to represent results that provide real-time support for decision analysis
- Provide expertise to clients in the areas of modeling energy markets
- Consult with client and engagement leader to assess modeling needs
- Apply dynamic optimization models to support modeling of utility energy portfolios, such as financial
hedges, thermal and renewable generation, and transmission lines
- Lead data integration and mapping activities from multiple external supporting systems
Skills & Knowledge
- Solid understanding of econometrics and statistical modeling
- Strong interpersonal skills, teamwork skills and work ethic
- Deep understanding of time series modeling and stochastic process
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to prioritize multiple assignments and problem solve with minimum supervision
- Excellent organizational skills
- Demonstrated track record of working with clients and team
Education & Experience
- Undergraduate degree a must; degrees in finance, energy, engineering or economics, are a plus
- An advanced degree in economics, energy, engineering, or finance is advantageous
- Knowledge and understanding of databases and database interfaces
- Working knowledge of MS Excel
- Micro economics and statistics
- Financial engineering
- Understanding of software programming
- Ability to understand and design Monte Carlo simulations
- Knowledge of R or SAS strongly preferred
- Knowledge of statistics, Monte Carlo simulations, derivative instruments, time series modeling, and production cost modeling
- Proven experience with time series modeling, and commodity price markets and/or financial markets