Support Scientist – Space Weather
Mar. 28, 2017 12:00 am
Apr. 28, 2017 12:00 am
I.M. Systems Group, Inc. (IMSG)
- United States
Support Scientist-Space Weather
- Job ID: 2017-1089
- # of Openings: 1
- Job Locations: US-MD-College Park
- Posted Date: 3/27/2017
- Category: Scientific
I.M. Systems Group, Inc. (IMSG), www.imsg.com a Federal Government Contractor is seeking to fill a full-time position supporting the National Centers for Environmental Prediction (NCEP). The contractor will support the Environmental Modeling Center (EMC) located in College Park, MD and the Space Weather Prediction Center (SWPC) located in Boulder, Colorado. The duty station for this position will be at EMC in College Park, MD.
Basic job function:
This position will support the mission at SWPC/EMC to deliver an operational coupled Whole Atmosphere - Ionosphere-Plasmasphere-Electrodynamics (WAM-IPE) model and products in the near future. This job encompasses the development, maintenance, and management of the WAM-IPE system code on the NCEP supercomputers.
The job may require travel to Boulder, CO, several times a year. Access to NCEP computers will require either Green Card or US citizenship.
- Under the direction of the WAM-IPE project manager and project scientist, develop, upgrade, and maintain the WAM and IPE codes and make it available for runs-on-demand.
- Represent the interests of space weather applications of WAM and IPE at EMC.
- Coordinate and ensure compatibility of development of WAM and WAM data assimilation system with those of the EMC Global weather forecast model and data assimilation system.
- Run the model code for tests, evaluation, and validation.
- Maintain version control of the code.
- Develop and run post-processing analyses for evaluation of model output.
- Develop and run scientific visualization package.
- Assist in development of the operational WAM and WAM Data Assimilation Systems.
- Participate in model validation activities.
More information about this job