- Dynamics of tropical convection namely Tropical Cyclone (TCs) and Madden-Julian Oscillations (MJO)
- Environmental factors affecting the extreme weathers (e.g. TCs)
- Predictability in extreme weather events
Papers in Preparation/ Submitted/ Under Revision:
- Taraphdar, S., L. Ruby Leung, K. Balaguru, S. Hagos and John A. Knaff: A new mechanism for the recent U.S. Landfalling Major Hurricane droughts. (In preparation)
- Fuqing Zhang, S. Taraphdar and Shuguang Wang: The role of global circumnavigating mode in the MJO initiation and propagation. (Submitted)
- Taraphdar, S., P. Mukhopadhyay, L. Ruby Leung and Kiranmayi Landu: Prediction skill of tropical synoptic scale transients from ECMWF and NCEP Ensemble Prediction Systems. (Submitted)
Papers in refereed Publications
- Zhaoqing Yang, S. Taraphdar, Taiping Wang, L. Ruby Leung and Molly Grear (2016): Uncertainty and feasibility of dynamical downscaling for modeling tropical cyclones for storm surge simulation, Nat. Hazards, DOI 10.1007/s11069-016-2482-y. (Online)
- Taraphdar S., L. R. Leung and S. Hagos (2015): Linkages of remote sea surface temperatures and Atlantic tropical cyclone activity mediated by the African monsoon, Geophys. Res. Lett. 42, 572 – 578, DOI: 10.1002/2014GL062600.
- Balaguru K., S. Taraphdar, L. R. Leung, G. R. Foltz and J. A. Knaff (2014): Cyclone – cyclone interactions through ocean pathway, Geophys. Res. Lett., 41, 6855 – 6862, DOI: 10.1002/2014GL061489.
- Taraphdar S., P. Mukhopadhyay, L. R. Leung, F. Zhang, S. Abhilash and B. N. Goswami (2014): The role of moist processes on intrinsic predictability of Indian Ocean Cyclones, J. Geophys. Res. Atmos., 119, 8032 – 8048, doi:10.1002/2013JD021265.
- Balaguru K., S. Taraphdar, L. R. Leung and G. R. Foltz (2014): Increase in the intensity of post-monsoon Bay of Bengal tropical cyclones, Geophys. Res. Lett., 41, 3594 – 3601, DOI: 10.1002/2014GL060197.
- Hazra A., P. Mukhopadhyay, S. Taraphdar, J. –P. Chen and W. R. Cotton (2013): Impact of aerosol on tropical cyclones: An investigation using convection-permitting model simulation, J. Geophys. Res. Atmos., 118, 7157–7168, doi:10.1002/jgrd.50546.
- Hazra A., S. Taraphdar, M. Halder, S. Pokhrel, H. S. Chaudhari, K. Salunke, P. Mukhopadhyay, and S. A. Rao (2013): Indian summer monsoon drought 2009: Role of aerosol and cloud microphysics. Atmos. Sci. Lett., 14, 181–186, DOI:10.1002/asl2.437.
- Manoj M. G., P. C. S. Devara and Taraphdar (2013): Lidar investigation of nocturnal boundary layer aerosols and cloud macrophysics under different meteorological conditions. Atmos. Res., 132 – 133, 65 – 75, DOI:10.1016/j.atmosres.2013.05.007,65-75.
- Kaustav Chakravarty, P. Mukhopadhyay and S. Taraphdar (2011): Cloud microphysical properties as revealed by the CAIPEEX and satellite observations and evolution of a cloud system resolving model simulation of contrasting large scale environments. J. Atmos. Solar Terres. Phys., 73, 1790 – 1797, doi:10.1016/j.jastp.2011.04.006.
- Mukhopadhyay P., S. Taraphdar and B. N. Goswami (2011): Influence of moist processes on track and intensity forecast of cyclones over the North Indian Ocean. J. Geophys. Res. Atmos., 116, D05116, DOI:10.1029/2010JD014700.
- Taraphdar S., P. Mukhopadhyay, B. N. Goswami (2010): Predictability of Indian summer monsoon weather during active and break phases using a high resolution regional model, Geophys. Res. Lett., 37, L21812, 1-6, DOI:10.1029/2010GL044969.
- Mukhopadhyay P., S. Taraphdar, B. N. Goswami and K. Krishnakumar (2010): Indian summer monsoon precipitation climatology in a high resolution regional climate model: Impact of convective parameterization on systematic biases. Wea. Forecasting, 25, 369-387.
- Taraphdar S., J. Sanjay and P. Mukhopadhyay (2009): On northward movement of convergence zones along west coast of India in a real-time forecast. Meteorl. Atmos. Phys., 104, 177–189.
- Taraphdar S., J. Sanjay and P. Mukhopadhyay (2007): On northward propagation of convergence zones along west coast of India in NCEP forecasts during onset of summer monsoon 2006. Vayu Mandal, 33, 58–69.
- Sanjay J., S. Taraphdar, M. Rajeevan, G. B. Pant and P. C. Joshi (2007): Vegetation feedbacks on regional climate model forecasts over Indian region. Vayu Mandal, 33, 18–27.
- Sanjay J., S. Joshi and S. Taraphdar (2007): Numerical simulation of heavy rainfall over Ratnagiri on May 30, 2006 using WRF. Vayu Mandal, 33, 39–50.