Before you begin
If you are ready to apply to Penn State but have NOT read the Penn State Graduate School's requirements, please visit that website at http://www.gradschool.psu.edu/prospective-students/how-to-apply/new-applicants/requirements-for-graduate-admission/ before continuing through the steps below. This website will give you information about the application fee and other general application information. Applications that are submitted without the fee being paid will not be processed. The application fee is non-refundable. When you are done reviewing this page, please come back here and follow the steps below.
Deadlines for Application and Department Decisions
Transcript tips for your application submission
TOEFL (international students) and GRE Codes that you will need on your Application
TOEFL Code: 2660 (Institution Code) 60 (Departmental Code)
GRE Code: 2660 (Institution Code) 0507 (Departmental Code)
- Complete the online application through The Penn State Graduate School by visiting: http://www.gradschool.psu.edu/index.cfm/apply/. *Deadline is January 15 for entry in the fall semester of that same year. This deadline applies to all domestic and international students.
- As part of the online application process, you are required to upload electronically copies of transcripts from all post-secondary institutions attended (or equivalent documents for institutions outside the U.S., e.g. degree/study certificates, diplomas, etc.) in the language of instruction, as well as copies of an official English translation, if English is not the language of instruction. (If you are offered admission, Penn State's Graduate School will request official transcripts by postal mail. Note: Offers of admission will be revoked if original, official documents to not arrive by specified deadlines, or if official documents do not match electronic copies provided prior to the offer of admission.
- Provide official GRE and TOEFL scores to Penn State. You do not need to send a copy by mail if official scores are reported electronically in this manner.
- Scores from the Graduate Record Examination Aptitude Test (GRE) can often be provided electronically to Penn State by the administering agency. For the present exam, a verbal and quantitative combined score of 310 or greater is typical for those admitted.
- TOEFLor IELTS scores, can also be submitted electronically to Penn State by the administering agency. All international applicants whose first language is not English or who have not received baccalaureate or master's degrees from an institution in which the language of instruction is English, must take the TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) examination. A TOEFL score of 550 on the paper test is required for admission. If you take the iBT (internet-based TOEFL test), the minimums are 80 (total score) and 19 (speaking).
TOEFL Code: 2660 (University Code) 60 (Departmental Code)GRE Code: 2660 (University Code) 0507 (Departmental Code)
Note that your application will not be considered complete until you have filed your online application AND we have received the TOEFL and GRE, by official electronic submission to Penn State from the administering agency.
We will not be reviewing applications until AFTER the January 15 deadline, so please wait until a few weeks after that date before contacting the department for your application status.