Declaring a Major

Once you are confident that pursuing Meteorology is the right choice for you, how do you officially declare it as your Major?

EMS Entry-to-Major

What if you are confident you are pursuing the major that is meant for you?   How do you officially declare your major?

Most Penn State students participate in LionPath's Change-of-Major process in the Spring semester of their sophomore year, and officially enter their major at the start of their Junior year.

Here in EMS you don't have to wait that long!  The College of EMS policy is:

"A student may enter the Meteorology and Atmospheric Science major (and option) as long as he/she has a cumulative GPA of 2.00 or higher, has completed Math 140 with a grade of C or higher, and has at least 3rd semester standing (successfully completed more than 27 credits)."

If your current academic status is our pre-major EM SC  (if in doubt check your data in LionPath, and if you meet the above criteria, and if you would like to enter the major that you indicated to us as your goal when you entered the college (i.e. the major to which your assigned faculty adviser belongs), you may do so using the "Update Academics" option in LionPath. Remember that you must also choose an option. If you are unsure which option to choose, no problem!  Choose one anyway;  you can change your option at a later date via an email to .

If you want an EMS major, but not the one that you originally indicated, you must complete an Entry-to-Major form (available in the Ryan Family Student Center) and meet with a faculty representative of the new major so that you can be assigned a new faculty adviser. We will direct you to the appropriate faculty member!

If you are uncertain about your choice of EMS major, that's OK.  You're free to let us know your wishes later this semester or next semester.   Or you can do what most of your non-EMS friends will be doing:  declaring your major via LionPath "Update Academics" process in January (but remember, that way it doesn't take effect until the following August!). 

If you are pretty sure that the major you want is not one that EMS offers, it's prudent to make a visit to the Advising Center of the college in which your intended major is located. Entry-to-major requirements vary widely, so beware!

Finally, if you have completed four semesters and your GPA is 2.00 or higher, you MUST declare your major.  You can't remain in generic EM SC status!  You won't graduate!