Position: Meteorologist Intern (College Junior)
This position is an excellent opportunity for someone in college with well-developed written and verbal communication skills to get experience in the aerospace-defense engineering Logistics environment supporting repair inductions of state-of-the art technology through assisting with the development and maintenance of technical repair, rework and retrofit planning documents and generating Routing documentation for rework and assembly operations.
The Advance Weather Interactive Processing System (AWIPS) provides cutting-edge technology to the National Weather Service. AWIPS is the corner stone of a multi-year modernization program allowing revolutionary improvements to the National Weather Service (NWS) products and services. It is a high-visibility program of great importance to the United States government and to the Nation. AWIPS is a technological wonder that consists of a nationwide network of approximately 160 sophisticated data collection and processing National Weather Service sites. The AWIPS sites are linked with a state-of-the-art communications system so that the meteorologist and hydrologists are prepared to provide the most accurate forecasts in the quickest time possible.
Meteorologist with strong UNIX and LINUX background needed to support the monitor and control functions of the NWS Network Control Facility (NCF). The NCF is a 24x7x365 facility providing Help Desk Type Support and Network Operations support to the Weather Forecast Offices, NWS National Centers, and River Forecast Centers. Support includes correcting site processes and interface system issues, wide area network (WAN) problems and satellite broadcast problems. The person must also be able to independently detect and troubleshoot failures, interact with forecast office personnel and third party vendors for site support, and accurately document all actions taken and provide customer feedback.
Required Experience, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- You must be enrolled full time in an accredited college or university, pursuing a technical degree in the area of Meteorologist
- Strong English verbal and written communication skills
- Strong computer skills and familiarity with Microsoft Office Quick learner, self-starter
- Ability to rapidly process data for consistent content and format
- Must be able to professionally interact in a team environment, with good communication and technical skills
- Good organizational skills
Desired Experience, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Experience with UNIX and/or LINUX
Required Education (including Major):
- You must be enrolled full time in an accredited college or university, pursuing a technical degree in the area of meteorologist.
For information about this opportunity, please contact: