Requisition #: 210239
Thank you for inquiring about the opportunity to become a part of our Meteorology Intern position!
Job Summary: The Meteorology Intern program is designed to help students prepare for professional careers in the field of Meteorology or a related profession. It will provide practical, real-world experiences that challenge the student both personally and professionally. The student can expect to gain valuable industry experience, work on substantive projects, and develop professional skills through training and mentoring with experienced professionals.
- Complete the 2 components of Meteorology Intern Program:
- Approx. 25% of the meteorology Intern's time: Observations of the meteorologist's shift and other OCC groups.
- Approx. 75% of the meteorology Intern's time: Project Work
- Spend time with Meteorologists as they perform their operational shift duties.
- Spend time with other Operations staff as they perform their duties
- Other as deemed beneficial jointly by supervisor and intern
Project Work Description (One will be selected as a primary Project)
- Turbulence Forecasting &/or Statistics Study
- Mtn Wave Forecasting &/or Verification
- Climatology statistics
- Typhoon / Hurricane Forecasting &/or Statistics Study
- Space Weather Reporting and Forecasting Info
- Other efforts mutually agreed upon by Meteorology Shift Supervisor & Meteorology Intern
Minimum expected number of hours worked:
- During periods with class breaks, e.g. summer, average of 30 hours per week.
- During other periods, e.g. full load of classes, average of 10 hours per week
Be prepared to practice safety-conscious behavior in all operational processes and procedures.
- Enrolled in an accredited college, university, or graduate school program;
- Entering the junior (3rd) or higher academic year;
- Maintaining at least a cumulative 2.5 grade point average (GPA) on a 4.0 scale;
- Pursuing a course of study related to a Delta Meteorology discipline, specifically in Aviation, Aerodynamics, Engineering, Meteorology or Information Systems, in an under-graduate or graduate program.
- Eligible to work in the United States.
- Willing to sign a non-disclosure agreement in which they acknowledge that they will refrain from disclosing any Delta confidential information unless such disclosure is required or protected by law or is made to persons within the Company who have a need to know.
- Performing satisfactorily in current studies.